“Johnny! Where in the hell have you been?” said Barry, the club owner, “I’ve been looking for you all over!”
“Sorry, sir,” I said, hoping my Chinese accent wasn’t coming off too thick, “I was in… back room… looking for something.”
“Well, Jesus Christ!” said Barry, “You know I gotta put you up on the bar tonight as a dancer. I’m pulling Adam off so he can pour drinks.”
“But… what happen to Bryan?” I asked, innocently enough, “I thought he was supposed to be bartender tonight.”
“I don’t know what the fuck happened to Bryan!” said Barry, “Called up five minutes before his shift was supposed to start and tells me he can’t come in. Didn’t give me no reason or nothin’!”
“Oh,” I said, “I so sorry, Barry. I dance for you. I like to dance!”
“I know you do, Johnny,” said Barry, “And this might just be your chance to step up to dancing full time if we don’t hear anything back from Bryan. Hey – is your neck okay, by the way? It’s just you been rubbin’ it.”
“Oh –” I said, immediately dropping my hand, “Yes, Barry. Everything fine, Barry.”
“Well… all right,” said Barry, “You got any requests for songs you want to dance to tonight?”
“Just play whatever! I dance to whatever,” I said enthusiastically.
“You got it, buddy,” said Barry, “And if you hear anything from Bryan tonight by chance, let me know, all right?”
“Oh, I let you know. I definitely let you know, Barry…” I said, reaching behind my neck as he walked away and feeling the seam of the bodysuit just one more time.
“You dumb fuck,” I said under my breath, dropping the accent as soon as he was out of sight, “I was right here in front of you the whole time. How many fuckin’ times did I tell you I wanted to dance up on the bar, and you told me I wasn’t the right ‘type’? Well I’m Johnny Chao tonight, Barry, and I think the crowd’s gonna fuckin’ eat this little Asian muscle twink up – so you better get used to me being up there full-time!”
I liked it. More, please.
ReplyDeleteThank you! :) -- E.
ReplyDelete