Friday, August 7, 2009

English Class Swap

The last thing I saw before everything went blurry was somebody in my body, somebody pretending to be me, raising up the sleeve of his shirt and flexing his bicep. When I woke up, I was laying on the cold tile floor, and everyone in my English class was gathered around me. Then my impostor stepped forward, towering over me.

"Guess the little guy just couldn't handle this!" he said, flexing his biceps again. Even his voice sounded exactly like mine!

All of my friends gathered around the impostor and started laughing and pointing. I couldn't figure out what was going on. They all believed that he was me! But then, who was I...?

I looked down at myself and instantly recognized the scrawny body of Stephen Skelley, one of the nerdiest guys in our class! I felt the world going blurry again as I heard the voice of Mrs. Campbell, our English teacher.

"Oh dear! Let's get Stephen to the nurse's office!" I heard her say, "Kyle, why don't you help him up?"

"But I'm Kyle!" I said, delirious, "I'm not Stephen Skelley!"

"Listen to the little nerd!" said the impostor, placing one of his strong arms behind my back and easily lifting me up, "He wishes he was me!"

Again, all of my friends just laughed. I was humiliated.

"Kyle Burns!" Mrs. Campbell said, "Get Stephen to the nurse's office and then after that, you can take yourself straight to the principle's!"

"Aw, man!" he said, exactly as I would have done, "Well let's get goin', nerd!"

As he guided me towards the classroom door, he leaned in to whisper something in my ear.

"How do you like being me so far, Stephen?" he said with a smirk.

"But I'm not --" I started to say back.

"Yes you fucking are," he said, confidentely, "You're Stephen Skelley from now on, and I'm Kyle Burns. Got it?"

I felt myself getting sick. I could hear more laughter in the background.

"Tough luck," my impostor said, "Now, like Mrs. Campbell said, we better get you to the nurse's office before everyone starts to think you're crazy!"

No comments :

Post a Comment