Sunday, September 16, 2012

Playing Soldiers (Updated)

Sunday Bonus

tumblr_m21yytBoUw1rto93vo1_1280

tumblr_m21yytBoUw1rto93vo2_500

When I saw this guy in the arcade I could tell he had a military background, fuck he was built and could handle the gun even though it was a fake.

I pushed past his friend knocking his money to the floor, it was all the time I needed to sidle up behind the soldier and push in.

Sure, I missed a couple of targets as I rolled my shoulders and got used to the feel of my new body but fuck! it was worth it. My new buddy slapped me on the back and laughed, “beers on you buddy.”

I just turned and smiled.


I had a couple of messages come through on here and YIM asking me to extend this story so I took aNa suggestion and used it. Hope you like this addition.

I knew I needed time to get used to my new disguise so I said nothing and followed my new friend out of the arcade.

"Beers?" He asked. I nodded, although I was underage I felt confident enough that I would be OK in this new muscled giant. Deep down, I knew that this was the start of a new adventure.

My friend; James, I pulled at my lip memories were starting to come through. My new name was Jay, I was right, a soldier on leave. I fazed out for a moment as memories washed over my own, things of horror; friends lost a hard dirty history of the past six months.

"Jay?" My friend snapped his fingers a couple of times in front of my face. "You OK? You sort of zoned out there for a minute."

I nodded. "Yeah fine, just... just thinking of something." Jay's memories had caught up with me, and I felt that I had just aged eight years in only seconds.

"Just need to shake the weasel, be right back." James stands and makes his way to the restrooms.

For the first time, I check my new form. Thick strong arms, I look at my hands; strong and rough. A rush of guilt hits me and I rest my head in my hands regretting what I had done.

I feel a hand rest on my shoulder, its James. "Jay, you OK? You've been acting weird since we left the arcade."

"Yeah, I'm OK. Just thinking about the rest of the guys, and... you know, Tony."

"Bastards," Jason squeezes my shoulder, "he was a good soldier, and we'll never forget him."

In the minutes I've been Jay, I've aged; experienced anger, control, loss of a friend and ultimately the emptiness of what appears to be a loss cause.

I can hear James talking but it's not really registering; I take a couple of deep breaths, and something catches my interest, a noise in the bar.

Voices; I can't tell what they are saying but the tone isn't right. Jay's training sparked in my head, a tugging feeling. I hold up a hand, "Shhh." James instantly stops talking. "Listen."

Slowly I raise my head, glancing cautiously around the bar. It's practically empty with only small knots of people dotted around.

A raised voice catches my attention and I turn to see a group of three, one in his early twenties, the other two in their thirties. Something inside Jay, something I inherited let's me pick out the details. There's a glint; something in the hand of the youngest catches my eye. Quietly I stand giving James a tug, he nods and follows.

I chat quietly with James, about nothing in particular just enough not to raise any suspicions. Suddenly the youth knocks a beer from one of the guys, and step back brandishing a knife.

It was a blurr; Jay's no, my training snapped into focus and I think I must have caught James out, as before I knew it I had disarmed the kid forcing him to the ground with his arm up tight behind his back. "Drop it!" I growled, he complied. I pushed my knee into the small of his back; my whole weight. It didn't take long for the police to pick up the little shit.

I sat down again, the adrenaline receding. James slapped me on the back and crouched down and looked me in the eye; "This is why--WE need to go back, you are the best on the team. You can pick up these signals that the rest of us miss. Tony, sadly died but it wasn't YOUR fault there were just too many of them." He slams a palm on the table, and I flinch a little caught off guard. "YOU have saved the team time and time again, we need you."

I slowly nod realising the importance of Jay's work, I look up at James, "Yeah, I believe... I believe... I can MAKE a difference." I gently slap his face "We both can make a difference. Can't we?"

James smiles, "I think we can, but not without you buddy."

20 comments :

  1. great start, but depressingly brief. TOo tired atm, else I'd add to it myself. maybe later.

    aNa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some may say that, others might consider it a challenge - it could be a catalyst;

      What happened at the bar?
      What was his new friend like?
      Where they more than just friends?
      Maybe there's someone else being setup for the other guy?

      - or maybe it was just a load of bull ;)

      Delete
  2. I agree, too brief. And i can't view the story for this one, so I haven't an awesome weekend yet. :^(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what do you mean "i can't view the story for this one" is the page not showing properly?

      Delete
    2. I click on the story to read and I see the title, but it's cut short. It's wierd and I've never seen it do that before.

      Delete
    3. That's strange, it looks 'Playing Soldiers' looks fine, or are you saying that 'Confidence' doesn't show up?

      Delete
    4. It works now! :D i couldn't see Confidence but now I do.

      Delete
  3. Give me a direction; an idea and I'll continue this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is the protagonist possessing the guy? is it just for the thrill of being in a built body? Is it because there is something in their own life that can be addressed/corrected in this guy's skin? Are we running away from something and finding solace in the life of someone else?

    Basic idea 1: kid is being bullied at school, dad's not in the picture, so kid takes this soldier's body to a) hide in another life, in a stronger body, b) face down his bully and ensure his safety when he reverts back to his life.

    Basic idea 2: under aged minor really wants to join the military (support of country, pride in wearing a uniform, dream of adventure), so he jumps in to this man's body as a form of wish-fulfillment for an indefinite period of time. Goes to war, has an adventure, maybe some tragedy to add depth to the story, and hopefully comes home wiser, possibly deciding to return to his life or continue on as the man he's become.

    aNa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aNa, there are some good ideas there. The purpose of the post was to get the synapses firing.

      So you want to pick one idea and I'll have a stab at the other one :)

      Delete
    2. try for idea 2. I'm a real fan of stories with substance/character development/etc, and I'm really liking that I'm seeing more to the TFs here recently than short blurbs and body-worship (though they're still ok, too).

      My fave tf stories are where the protagonist actually grows as a person as a result of their experience as someone else, regardless of whether they ever give up their new body or not.

      aNa

      Delete
    3. i'll work on idea one. see where I get with it... >.>

      Delete
    4. Updated the main post, hope you like it.

      Delete
    5. LOL, what's your name Oliver Twist ;)

      Delete
    6. Still waiting for more story, and this Oliver Twist thinks that the story should go on to talk about his time in the military.

      Delete
  5. If we could just get some for pics of this guy, along with the extension to the story, life would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry the 'for' was suppose to 'more'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you find the pics?

    ReplyDelete