by Seuzz
"Turn," said the technician, and pressed her fingertip
against Vincent's chin. He shifted his head fractionally to the right.
"Look up. You don't have to open your eyes," she added in an amused
tone.
"Thanks," Vincent murmured. "I wasn't
planning to."
"Does the mirror bother you?"
"No. The face does."
He thought she'd say It's
a nice face, but instead she said, "We can cover it."
"The face?"
"No, the mirror, smartass. It's for your benefit, not
mine. I can see you just fine."
Vincent smiled faintly, though it probably wasn't visible
through his thick beard. Then the smile turned into a snarl of pain as a sheet
of fire engulfed his scalp. "Just so you know," he told her in a
tight voice, "the nerves weren't dead. Only mostly dead."
"Sorry." She rubbed her hand -- encased in a latex
glove -- over the smooth dome where, only moments before, Vincent had sported a
close-cropped afro. "Want some cream on it?"
"Just give it a minute and I'm sure the anesthetic will
kick in. It didn't hurt, I just felt it come off," he lied as his scalp
screamed.
Vincent blinked behind his lids. "I'm trying to shrug
my shoulders. See anything?"
"Nope. So let's take care of the rest of you before we
start working on your face."
Vincent felt it only as a jostling: the hydraulic chair
being lifted off its pedestal and shifted onto a mobile platform. He cracked
his eyelids open enough to watch as he was pushed into the Primary
Reconstitution Room. Then he closed them again and let the tension drain from
his face. He had been very nervous -- even a little frightened -- the first
time they had numbed him from the neck down. But that was seven years ago, and
he had lost track of the number of times since that he had been touched by
injection needles and sculpting pens. It must be in the dozens. But nowadays the
procedure now relaxed him.
It took two burly nurses to shift him into the
reconstitution pod. On the outside it looked like an old-fashioned steam bath
chamber: a steel box that completely enclosed the body from the neck down.
Inside, it was a complicated mechanism of sacks, sleeves, sculpting chambers,
and tubes. Vincent closed his eyes and tried not to pay attention as they
packed him in. They started by enclosing his waist and crotch inside a
constricting envelope that squeezed even more tightly after it had been pumped
full of a kind of gel. They fitted his legs and feet into close-fitting sleeves
that -- if hadn't been numbed all over -- would have felt like they were
cutting off his circulation. His arms went into similar sleeves, and his entire
torso was closed up inside a tight fitting tank containing gelatinous balloons
that inflated once some switches were activated. Tubes and electrodes were
connected, and a battery of cross-checks performed to ensure that everything
was connected to what it was supposed to connect to, and that each bit of
machinery was performing as designed.
Then they closed the shell around him. "Would you like
a hot towel for your face?" the technician asked.
"Please," Vincent said. "I might take a
nap."
"Yes, you've got the time. I'll let you rest an hour
before coming back to numb your face. How's your scalp?"
"Good enough." But the pain sharpened again after
the technician wrapped his head in a rough towel of nearly scalding heat.
But once he had adjusted to it, Vincent relaxed again. If he
didn't fall asleep exactly, he fell into a reverie where dreams and memories
slid into and out of each other ...
* * * * *
"Oh, sweet!" Ryan exclaimed, and clapped his hands
on the hood of the car. His breath came in short gasps. "You know what
this is? Of course you do, oh my God, it's a --! A -- !" He gulped.
"A brand new BMW Z4?" Vincent grinned. "Yeah,
sorry, but that's exactly what it is."
Ryan turned wondering, shining eyes on him. "And it's
for me? Oh, baby, what did I do to deserve it?"
Vincent let his eyes fall. There were a lot of things he
could have said in reply. You deserve it
for being with me. For being you. For being the best half of us.
All of which were true, he thought, but he went with a more
scrupulously accurate answer. "It's a consolation gift. And something to
remember me by."
"What do you mean?" Ryan remained bent over the
car, half embracing it, but shot Vincent a sharp glance.
"On account of my transfer into Plastics. I told you,
it means I'm not going to be around a
lot."
Vincent lowered his eyes again as Ryan remained bent over
the hood of the car. "Plastics," Ryan said in a lazy and impudent
tone. "Plastics," he said again, as though tasting the word in his
mouth. He straightened, and a smile crept up the side of his face. "But
aren't you going to be around? Because you know, lover, the way you explained
it to me last week -- " He slid his hands into his back pockets and swayed
slowly over to Vincent. "The way you explained it to me, I thought a transfer into Plastics meant
I'd be seeing a lot of new guys in my life." He bit down on his thumbnail
and grinned up at Vincent from under his floppy, chestnut-colored bangs.
"In fact, I thought it was a promise. You promised me a lot of new guys."
"You'll get them," said Vincent, a little hastily.
"Lots of them. Just not every night. Only every couple of weeks. For a
weekend here and there." He knew he was starting to gabble in a guilty
way. "If I can manage it." And though both the autumn sun and autumn
air were cool, Vincent began to blush under the mischievous grin of his
boyfriend.
They were standing in the driveway of a small brick house in
a leafy, suburban neighborhood. The new sports coupe was, perhaps, a little out
of place on a street that had several decades of wear on it; but it was no more
out of place than Vincent and Ryan themselves were. The former a respectable,
middle-class African-American in his button-down shirt and dress slacks; Ryan looking
a little more bohemian in his sweatshirt, faded jeans and bare feet. And no one
who knew them would have been surprised to see Ryan put his arms around Vincent
and snuggle into his chest. "And while you're out pretending to be other
people, I'm supposed to drive around and think of you?" he asked.
"You better only think of me," Vincent growled.
"I'll be thinking only of you. And I'm going to be picturing you curled up
quietly at home and not driving around picking up -- " He cut himself off before the spasm
of jealousy he felt could fully uncoil.
But Ryan had to turn the half-confession into a tease.
"How'm I supposed to cover the mortgage payments while you're gone if I
can't go out and sell my body?"
Vincent tensed, then forced himself to relax. "The
Company'll be direct depositing my monthly checks. You've got my PIN, so it's
not like you're going to have to get a job."
"I better not." Ryan pulled Vincent toward the
door to the house. "I've already got the best job in the world. Letting
you take care of me." He continued to tug Vincent, all the way inside the
house and toward the bedroom. "Let's make a mess."
Afterwards, naked, dark skin against light, they held each
other and let their breath mingle. "You know," Vincent said, and
kissed Ryan on the nose. "Being a Plastic Man, doing the jobs the Company
puts me on -- I'm going to have to be inside some relationships with other
people. It'll just be pretend, though."
"For sure?" Ryan said, teasingly. "You didn't
ask for the transfer so you could have an excuse to fuck -- ?" He jumped
and laughed as Vincent smacked him on the side of the ass. "It is for me,
right? The pain and bother of sleeping with other -- "
"It's all for you, babe, and the sleeping around isn't
the point. Most of it's going to be ordinary espionage work, just from a perch
where people won't be expecting to find an agent." He didn't add that he'd
accepted the dangerous transfer because it included a lucrative boost in pay
that he could shower on his boyfriend.
"But the sleeping around is a bonus?"
"Stop it. I'm serious. I don't want you to be jealous.
And you know, just by the law of averages," Vincent added, "a lot of
those faces I'll be wearing, most them, they'll belong to guys that are straight.
So -- "
"So I don't have to worry," Ryan finished for him.
He giggled. "Is it going to be hard for you, kissing a girl?"
"Horrible." He kissed Ryan all over his mouth.
"Because none of them. Can possibly. Be as delicious. As you," he
said between each kiss.
"But you will bring them home to me, won't you?"
Ryan said. "Your faces. After each ... mission?"
"Assignment."
"After each assignment?" He hugged Vincent
tightly. "Because that's the main reason I'm letting you take that
transfer. For the chance to have new lovers in my bed. And all of them
you."

No comments :
Post a Comment