Sunday, July 27, 2014

Seanday Lunch: Fresh Pickings

I was getting impatient, I looked at the time. "He should have got the goods by now." I muttered under my breath.

tumblr_n8j6aqczRS1slorn4o1_1280

It was a simple job, get an identity that we could use to target all the rich kids over the summer break.

The resort had stepped up security, so I needed something that wouldn't look out of place.

tumblr_n94bzqdNbW1s5i0wqo1_1280

My phone buzzed--a text. It was Greg, "Can't get close enough to anyone." I cursed under my breath, this was his last screw-up Greg was for the meat hook. *What an idiot.* I had to take him on, show him the ropes, I owed it to big Frank. But to be honest, Greg just wasn't smart enough for this scam. It didn't matter, I'd already lined up someone I could slip into his skin, Frank wouldn't know and he'd be proud of his 'son'.

I replied to the text, "Who's the DJ?"

"Project Beats," Greg replied eventually.

"Make yourself scarce, I'm coming in."

Slipping the phone in my back pocket I made my way across the crowded street towards the nightclub. As I approached the doors, I heard shouting and spotted security bending over a guy passed out on the street--a perfect opportunity.

passedout2

I leant over checking the barely conscious jock, "Awww, you're such an idiot." I had no idea who he was, but that didn't matter. I looked up at the security guy; a heavyweight looked like he'd been through the wars, but I didn't care. "I'm sorry about my buddy here, can you give me a hand to get him over to my car. It's just parked over there," I groaned to the security guy shaking my head.

Club Security

"Sir, I'm not a porter. You'll have to do it yourself."

The drunk rolled over and retched. "Look, I need a hand. Unless you want him decorating your steps." He muttered something and we both lifted him over to my car. I faked looking for my keys as security held him against the wall--this was too easy I thought to myself as I grabbed him, and choked him into unconsciousness. They both laid motionless, I reached down and turned the security guys face this way and that. I rubbed at my tattoos, warming them up. They started to lighten, almost glowing. I felt the familiar tingle as their magic started to come to life. The spell was cast and I shifted physically into his double. I grabbed the radio and slipped it in my ear. "Yeah, control this is Damian. Let me in the back, some jerk just threw up on me." I'd copied the security guys voice perfectly, the voice on the other end of the radio laughed out loud, and said he'd buzz the door open.

I made my way back through the crowds nodding to Damian's colleagues as I walked down the side alley. I pushed the intercom and looked up at the camera, after a few moments the door buzzed and I walked inside.

There was a lot of activity going on, dancers, bar staff. I grabbed one, "When's the DJ finishing his set?"

"Another hour, but he's going on a break in after his mix," he replied. "Why?"

I pushed him away, "None of your fucking business." He gave me a funny look and I jerked my head at him; it was enough, this image I was wearing scared most it would seem.

Waiting at the edge of the raised stage I watched the DJ, he was good. I'd done my homework, unlike Greg and knew this guy was booked for two weeks at the resort--my ticket in. From inside I could start to harvest the identities, selling them to the highest bidders--easy money.

The music ended, and I watched the DJ work the crowd; they cheered as he promised to return soon. At the bottom of the steps I was waiting. "Sir, I've got a message--it's not good news I'm afraid," I lied, people were always more receptive when bad news was involved. "We should go somewhere private."

He followed me like a puppy dog, into a staff restroom. I started to rub my arms again, feeling the tingle of my tats coming to life again. "It's your partner, there was a car accident--"

It was all I needed to say, he turned away and sagged. "H-how?"

I didn't answer, I could feel the warmth in my arms. I knew I was ready.

tumblr_n2gtkx5sx71qk5bhro2_1280 2

I grabbed him from behind, locking my strong arms around him. He struggled cursing at me, I closed my eyes and focused on the tattoos that bound me. I squeezed harder, and he almost buckled under the strength of the magic. I muttered a release under my breath, and felt his soul shift; displacing it to another place. With practiced ease I pushed at his physical body, pulling it around me; cloaking myself in his imago. This magic was different from the shapeshifting, like this I could be--Richard, for as long as I wanted.

Richard's body bucked and twisted as I filled the vacant space inside--finally I'd become everything he was. I stretched and adjusted my headphones; ten minutes to his--my next set. I checked out my reflection, "Not bad, nice build--nice to meet me Richard," I smirked.

I thought of all the kids that would be chasing their favourite DJ next week, easy pickings I laughed as I left the restroom for my last set of the night.

4 comments :