Sunday, May 31, 2015

Seanday Extra: Europe Bound

I was travelling through Europe, and crossed into Serbia. But instantly felt out of place. Although I was six foot, and 190lbs there was something about these people--particularly those in their early 20s that unsettled me.

I wasn't prepared to move on quickly, I wanted to learn about their culture--like all the other countries I'd passed through on my journey. Making my way through the busy streets, I tried to remain inconspicuous but it was difficult.

Stopping at a grocers, a watched a group of men who seemed to be waiting. After a couple of minutes a minibus arrived, and an older man walked through the small group and tapped a number of them on the shoulder. They in turn got into the minibus. A few moments later it left, I guessed it must be people looking for casual labour.

The remainder of the group started to disperse, and one of the prospective workers headed towards me. He was about twenty, maybe younger and looked a bit shorter than me. He was wearing a hoody, sweatpants with a padded jacket to protect against the harsh weather.


He looked tired, but a strength in his features showed he was a strong, hard worker. As he passed me I grabbed his sleeve, he spun around and scowled at my muttering something in a language I didn't understand. "You speak English?"

"Yes."

"Are you looking for work?" I asked. He nodded. "I'm looking for someone to work for me for a week."


"Doing what?" he asking in broken English.

I looked at the people around me, "Is there somewhere we can talk privately?"

"Follow." So I did through the side streets and behind the shops. He leaned up against a wall. "Tell me," he said tipping his chin.

"I need someone, for the week. You'll be with me all the time, do what I tell you. Be my eyes and ears, my feet on the ground."

"Like a servant?"

"A companion," I corrected him. "I need someone to look after me, protect me."

"I used to be in the army."

"Perfect."

"two hundred dollars." I had him interested.

"American dollars?"

I nodded. "Cash."

A wide smile crossed his face. "It's a deal."

Of course it was, he was desperate for work and I was offering something equivalent to a couple of months wages for a weeks work.

"What's your name?"

"Josif."

I held out my hand and he shook it, a strong firm grip. I made a good choice. I pulled out some notes and gave him the money. "You work for me now, right?"

"Yes."

"Look after this," I told him handing him my small shoulder bag containing my wallet, keys, mobile and passport.

"So I stay with you at your hotel? I should call home, tell my partner I've got a job and will be away for a week."

I stopped him, "In a while, first I need to make sure you're not carrying anything like a gun."

"I am not."

"I need to check, turn around." He placed his hands on the wall in front of him and I began to feel my way up his body. I felt strong calves and thighs under his baggy sweatpants. My hands felt each arm in turn, thick muscular biceps and strong forearms--he was hiding a lot. Pulling up his jacket, I traced my way around his broad shoulders and back. Reaching around I could feel the firmness of his pectorals, and a narrow waist.

"I told you," he answered beginning to turn around, but I stopped him with a hand on his shoulder and told him to wait.

He was all mine, for the week. He'd accepted the money, and acknowledged that I wanted him to be *MY* eyes, *MY* ears and *MY* feet on the ground. It was an agreed transaction--all I needed.

I took a breath, and stepped forward. I passed through his oversized clothes and into his military trained body. His torso tensed, his back arched as I filled his frame, his muscles and finally his mind.

Gasping I steadied myself against the wall. "Josif," I whispered, "for a week, maybe more." I dropped and arm out of my jacket and slipped the shoulder bag over my head. "A week," I told myself again as I pulled the jacket back on hiding the bag.

Back on the busy street, I no longer felt isolated--I felt confident and strong. Back at Josif's apartment I knew she was waiting; I felt a tightness in my underwear. I could run his life for a couple of days, just to feel what it was like. After that I could leave her some of my 'wages' and tell her I'll be away for a month and continue my journey across Europe. Seemed like a plan.

1 comment :

  1. Been away this week and forgot my laptop charger so couldn't write pt3 of "Observe and Report".

    Lucky had this one in reserve, hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete