I sent a message to Aaron, told him meet me at the normal place. I knew wouldn't have to wait for a reply; I owned him, he would kill if I told him to.
Walking through the forest, I followed the path to the West. Few people came this way, preferring to keep to the better known routes.
Drifting through the trees I looked up at the sunlight blinking through the branches of the autumn afternoon. The chill in the air caught my breath as I whispered Aaron's name.
In the distance I saw him; his back to me. Aaron, my avatar, my companion, my instrument. I'd chosen him three years ago, because I saw his potential. He was obedient, pliable, and respectful.
I approached him, he didn't hear me. I quietly admired the broad shoulders, and tapered torso of the twenty-six year old. I smiled noticing he'd had his hair cut, he always looked after himself. Walking around I spoke his name, and he turned to face me. Dark stubble covered his face, it looked good on him--I liked that.
"Sir," he whispered bowing his head respectfully.
I sat next to him. "You're looking well Aaron."
"Thank you, it's what you wanted."
I nodded. "Yes, and you've done well. But your work here is done, I'm releasing you from these mortal coils. Until I call for you again."
"I understand, it has been an honour to serve you," he told me in a quiet voice.
He got to his feet, and I held a hand against his cheek and noticed the difference in our skins. Aaron's colour was a healthy tan, while mine was a cool white.
He laid on the ground, and I watched as he gasped. His whole body started to spasm, and then his back arched. With a final groan a spectre pulled itself from Aaron's chest. I recognised the spirit of Jacob, a nineteen year old; my servant. He smiled and gave me a little salute before disappearing into a wisp of smoke.
---
Three years ago I discovered Aaron, slumped in an alleyway a victim of a brutal mugging. His face was bruised and battered, but I could see a subtle beauty in it all the same. His body was weak, nothing like the condition it was in now. I stood over him knowing there was little I could do for him, his eyes glazed over and closed. I took a step back as his spirit lifted out of his body.
I had to work fast. Quickly I summoned Jacob; my servant spirit, he looked at Aaron and understood immediately. I placed a hand on Jacob's chest and pushed him into Aaron's body. His body buckled, and he groaned opening his eyes. "Sir," he muttered under his breath. I told him to be Aaron, make him strong, make him popular, and always listen for messages from me.
Shouting caught my attention, I turned and stepped to one side as a paramedic attended to Aaron. They strapped him to a gurney, and he never took his eyes off me as they put him into the back of an ambulance.
---
Looking down at Aaron, I watched him breathing for a moment, he was a fine specimen. Jacob had done a fine job of turning around his life; now a wealthy entrepreneur.
I held up my hands and studied their pale tones. It had been almost thirty years since I died, and now a spirit destined to walk amongst the living. I thanked Aaron for giving me the opportunity to touch, feel, live again as I laid on his impressive body. His body spasmed again as I felt its warmth wrap itself around me as if hungry for something it felt was missing. I dissipated throughout Aaron's body filling every last nook, then I groaned for the first time using his voice and blinked at the sunshine filtering through the trees.
Pulling myself to my feet I explored Aaron's body, the first time I'd been able to physically touch him. The clothes he was wearing accentuated his body well. I took a deep breath as all of Aaron's memories, experiences and relationships flooded my mind. Everything I needed to be Aaron at my fingertips.
I smiled slowly rubbing the stubble on my chin, I was alive again.
Very mellow and soft... nicely done.
ReplyDeleteNot what I was expecting but very good start. I hope to see a follow-up soon.
ReplyDeleteThanks Bill.
ReplyDeleteNot what you was expecting? Is that good or bad?
ReplyDeleteGood thing. We don't want everything to be the same.
ReplyDeleteWhat point did you figure out what was going on?
ReplyDeleteI added some foreshadow about mid way :)
Very nice, but seems very abruptly ended.
ReplyDelete