Throwing on some sweat pants and a cotton t-shirt I picked up Chapman's keys and went to leave, but something tugged at my subconscious, and a soft voice in my head told me take the notebook, shrugging I picked it up and left the house.
It had been the first time I'd been inside Chapman's house, even though we'd spoken many times; a big, strong guy kinda dwarfed me a bit and always seem to talk down to me with a 'grin of superiority'. He told me that he'd broken up with his wife soon after he moved in and since then he'd been living alone.
The heavy door swung open after I'd found the right key for the lock. Inside I was a little surprised, not the tidy well presented home I would have expected but a bit of a mess. Discarded workout clothes and a kit bag lay in the hall, in the bigger room there was a huge TV with a couple of takeaway cartons on the table. What looked like a protein drink half finished sat on the floor. In the kitchen the sink was full of unwashed plates and dishes, some cooked chicken still in the pan.
Tentatively approaching the bedroom, I slowly opened the door; the blinds were still closed so I couldn't see much only dark shapes. Flicking on the light surprised me further; It was completely different to the turmoil of the rest of the house, everything was clean, and in its place. A huge double bed with black satin sheets dominated the room, evident that Chapman thought he was a bit of a stud and needed an appropriate stage to impress the fact. There were huge mirrored doors opposite which led to his closet and a personal gym. There were a number of framed pictures on the dresser, mainly of Chapman posing in what looks like some kind of contest.
The voice I heard earlier spoke again, "You want to try him on for size?" The voice definitely came from inside my head, with a slow gulp I nodded. "Close your eyes and breathe deeply.'
A groan escaped as I felt my whole body twist and contort as it was reconfigured into something different. I was expecting a lot of pain, but maybe the mask was suppressing it in some way. "Ok, open your eyes." Murmured the voice.
I opened them ---slowly--- and was instantly taken back by my new perspective on the room. It seemed smaller, and for a moment I swayed and had to steady myself against the wall. Gently shaking my head my eyes caught the image of a thick meaty arm. Blinking in disbelief I took a look down, my t-shirt was now stretched tight across my new inherited chest. I studied my hands, and felt my biceps. Something felt quite alien about the whole experience. With a little trepidation I turned to the mirror, staring back was Chapman.
"You won't be able to tell the difference." The voice in my head whispered.
"Fucking amazing." Was all I could say.
"It's not complete yet, you only look like him. You can change your appearance to any image you see, but to think like them as well you will need something of theirs."
I glanced over at the dresser and put the notebook down while I looked for something personal; his gym pass. I picked it up and touched the photo ID and felt something wash over my consciousness, like being bathed in Chapman's knowledge and persona. It was like a new suit, and it felt like I'd always been Chapman, but knowing his image and memories were just tools for me to use.
The notebook softly glowed for an instant. I picked it up and flipped through the pages. At the back the name "Christopher Chapman" had appeared.
"Not all of these names are previous owners of the mask, most of them are templates to images of people." Whispered the voice.
As I ran my finger down the list, the names prickled under my touch and pictures filled my head, previous identities that the mask had used had all become available to me.
My finger paused, the image in my head was that of a student, younger then myself. Within moments my reflection in the mirror shifted and before me was the student dressed in the same t-shirt and sweats. It was then I realised the notebooks value, more of a library than just a notebook I mused to myself.
I blinked again and felt the familiar tightness of the t-shirt as I returned to Chapman's form. I smiled and undressed, biting my lip at the physical discovery of a huge man in so many ways. I opened the closet door and searched through his clothes, recognising them all, knowing how each combination would frame my new physique. Some jeans, t-shirts, a formal suit and dress shirts; the feeling of actually being someone else completely was euphoric.
I was caught up in my own experiences, when I heard a noise outside. Pulling on some jeans I looked out the window. It was some kid drinking beer in my yard.
"Get the FUCK off my property and PISS OFF!" My new voice boomed across the street, the kid jumped dropping his beer and looked at me. "NOW!" I shouted, he grabbed his stuff and ran off. Idly I thought what a good looking kid he was.
Wondering for a moment I checked the notebook again and a new name had appeared, "Alex O'Brian" I brushed the name and instantly felt myself change, I glanced up at the mirror to see the kid looking back at me. I shot a crooked grin, something that felt natural to this likeness. As the voice said, I needed to touch something personal to him to gain his personality; but I had nothing this time, although I looked like him I had none of his memories.
I realised that although I could look like anyone I wanted to there was still a risk of bumping into the original, as if on cue the voice in my head chirped out. "There is a way to become them completely, swapping your identity with theirs. They would be who you were, but totally under your control."
"So I could get someone to take over my life while I used theirs?"
"Yes, but there's more. You can swap as many times as you like within the Year and a day."
It was like a drug, and I wanted more. I thought about all the people I could be, not just those in the book but anyone I chose. I looked out the window and knew my adventure was about to start.
end of pt2
Sunday, September 24, 2017
Replay, Chain Letter, pt2: There Goes the Neighbourhood
Labels:
by Sean Mitchell
,
Magic
,
Shapeshifting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
This is a bit of a branch chapter, I haven't written pt3 yet so all those that voted 'Meh' or 'Not for me' this is your chance to direct where this story goes next.
ReplyDeleteOf course that offer is open to all the people that voted 'Awesome' as well (big thanks).
For the person that wrote "what if you write something else, better" in pt1 you'll have to give me a clue as to what you're after; as that comment wasn't very helpful.
Don't you know that creativity is a -sin-?! xD
DeleteJust kidding, I liked how this chapter explained a bit more how the mask worked and such. :3 Keep up the wonderful writing! :D
Thanks buddy, appreciate the feedback. :)
DeleteThere's a lot of background in this story, something that just wouldn't fit in a single post. I have pt3 in mind which goes in to describing the 'place holder' which I'll go ahead and write if no one puts forward any suggestions.
I'd also like to thank the people that have already sent me emails about this story, and yes it is loosely based on one of my old stories called 'The Chameleon Kid' with added inspiration from BoM.
not my kind of story but great composition
ReplyDeleteThank you for the feedback sir, but for the future what is your kind of story?
Deletepossession with mind control
DeleteMind control will definitely feature in the the future, possession will have to be saved for another time. :)
Deletethere should be a whole new category of stories for mind control!!!
DeleteChuck Bono is not for me...
ReplyDeleteAwesome. Please continue. Maybe mix it up a lite where we takes over a police officer or something.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good idea, I'll save that one for something special :)
DeleteThumbing through the 'notebook' who should he try out? big guys, little, young, old - give me some pointers.
ReplyDeleteShould he explore his physical form, or the way the new body thinks?
My two favorite kinds of bodies that I'd love to see are twinks and athletes. I love everything about twinks and the idea of running my hands over nicely formed muscles turns me on like none other. Not too muscular though, the second pic of this story is just about perfect.
ReplyDeleteAs for how he should explore, I'd be interested to see him explore the mental aspect of how the persons feels about their physical body. But, of course, I love just about everything you write, so I'll be happy with anything.
Thank you for that kind comment sir!
DeleteSomething to keep you wondering :)
-----
I scratched my ass and paused for a moment looking at the young face in the mirror. I cocked a grin again and raised an eyebrow it felt so right in this guise, young cocky and overconfident.
The strength in this kid seemed boundless, I started to duck and weave shadow boxing with my reflection, it felt natural as if my newly acquired muscles somehow knew what to do.
Picking up the notebook I tapped the name 'Alex O'Brian' I wondered if it would be possible to get his memories at a later date, "Of course." Whispered the voice.
Can't wait for Chapman's return. Anyway should try to life swap with him!
ReplyDeleteAt the end of the year and a day, he should lose his life and become just a name in the notebook, waiting for someone else to want to be him.
ReplyDelete