It was all new to me, I had only moved into town for a couple of week ago, first week I was in a hotel – I wanted to check out of the small town to see if I wanted to make it more permanent.
Looking in the newspaper I found a place, They told me there was no private access to my room so I had pretty much the run of the house. I decided to check it out all the same, so I found the house, must have been about 50-60 years old.
Standing on the front porch I knocked on the door, a lady in her late 50’s opened the door and gasped taking a step back.
“oh my goodness” she stammered
I could only put it down to my 6’3” frame which appeared to block most the of the door!
“Sorry, my name is Jacob – we spoke on the phone about the spare room you have?” I explained.
“Oh yes, I’m sorry please come in – take a seat I’ll be with you in a minute.”
I sat down in a chair and crossed my arms, I looked down at the shirt the sleeves almost bursting I just sighed as I felt the fabric tight across my shoulders; “really must get some new shirts” I thought to myself.
It wasn’t long before the woman returned; she introduced herself as Alice and I learnt that she was a widow, her husband passed away about 8 years ago and she lived here with her only son Ethan.
We agreed on a price and I moved in the next day. I found some work at the local bar, keeping the punters in order and pulling drinks. The girls liked have me around as they took every opportunity to feel up my thick arms and heavy pecs, hell I even bedded a couple of them.
It had been about a week and was getting on well with Alice, but I’d never got a chance to see or even talk with Ethan. I’d hear his voice as he spoke with Alice, or I’d just see the back of his head as he dashed out of the door.
Coming back late one evening I sat with Alice for a while. She told me it was nice to have a man about the house again. I asked about Ethan, she told me that he has a lot of friends and is always going out or hanging out in the garage out back where they have a band practice. I would explain why I hadn’t seen Ethan much, but it didn't explain why there were no pictures of him in the house.
It was the weekend, late afternoon; it was just starting to cool down after a hot day. Laying on the bed I could hear music playing, getting up I looked out of the window. Towards the back of the yard I could see light coming from the garage; I decided to check it out.
As I got closer, I could hear a bass guitar; the rifts cut through the evening quietness.
Looking around the door, I spotted Ethan by himself strumming away on what looked like a classic bass. Damn he was good, even a natural.
“Hey!” I said, he jumped a little and turned to face me.
“Oh hey” he relied in a quiet soft voice.
“We meet at last, I thought you were trying to avoid me”
“I, I..” he stammered
I saw him looking at my huge frame and arms, at only 5’9” I must have appear quite intimidating. Walking over and offered my hand, “I’m Jacob…” he shook it gingerly looking up at me.
We spoke for a while, but there was something about Ethan that didn’t add up, the lack of any pictures, his mother considerably older than she should be for a son of this age. Then something clicked, something I recognised in myself.
I walked over to the door and closed it; locking it. Ethan looked at me something in his eye suggested he was getting scared.
“We’re alone now, I think their is something you need to tell me about?” Ethan looked confused, blinked a couple of time and looked up at me through his fringe.
“I.. I’m not sure what you mean.”
I walked over to him and he edged back, “don’t worry I’m not going to hurt you or anything” I reassured him.
In a low hushed voice I asked “Are you really Alice’s son?” Ethan, just looked at me blankly.
“You see, she speaks well of you but there are no pictures of you anywhere. You must be what? 16 years old?” he nodded.
“Rather late in Alice’s life to take on the birth of her son? not impossible, but unusual all the same.” Ethan blinked looking everywhere but me.
I reached up to Ethan’s face and he flinched as I rubbed his cheek with the back of my hand. Bringing my hand to my face, I smelt it. It was a fragrance I knew well.
Ethan’s breathing quickened and beads of sweat formed on his brow.
I reached up again and Ethan backed away, I moved forward again reassuring him.
Pinching the skin of his cheek I pulled, Ethan’s perfect features distorted as the skin separated from whatever was below. Letting go, it snapped back, restoring his perfect features.
“How did you know?”
“It’s the subtle smell of the suit, almost undetectable unless…”
I reached up to my own cheek and pinched it, it stretched and returned with a snap when I let go with a smile.
Sunday, July 16, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
Oh now that's just teasing....
ReplyDeleteI demand a sequel!
Nemo