Brozek’s driver looked up as we approached. “Take me back, Bunny’s broken the kid,” I said jerking my head at Jeremy.
The driver frowned, “Fucking typical, I was going to get him next.”
“Just shut up, and drive,” I growled as we got in the car. I looked at Jeremy, his eyes were wide. “You OK?” He nodded, and forced a smile.
The driver kept his mouth shut for the rest of the journey--smart.
We arrived, and I made my way to the front door; the kid tagged along at my heels. The guards, waved us through without any fuss, and there was no waiting at the second door either.
“Erko, where is he?” I said, staring down at a man.
“In the lab Mr. Brozek,” he replied, not daring to look me in the eye.
We made our way down the corridor, and into the lab. The room was dark, with just the tubes and cabinets lit. There was a person, standing at the far end. It looked like Erko.
“Stay back,” I whispered to Jeremy, “he’s a Dupe as well. But I’m stronger disguised as your uncle.”
I made my way over. I knew it was really Rennik disguised as Erko, he was controlling two gangs. Now I was closer, I could see he was staring into the tube that contained the original gang-leader.
As I approached, there was a snigger from behind. I shivered, I’d heard that laugh before. I spun on my heels; six muscular men and Bunny loomed out of the darkness.
I glanced at Jeremy. “Confused?” He turned to the men and yelled, “Don’t just stand there, get him!”
They rushed at me, and I took a few steps back, raising my arms. Two lunged; I punched one in the face, and deflected the other sending him tumbling across the floor. “Idiots,” Jeremy hissed. The remaining four looked unsettled, but then ran at me tackling my torso and legs. I fell to the ground, and they piled on top, I groaned under their weight as they shifted and pinned me down.
I was breathing heavily, my shirt tightened with every gasp. I looked up at Jeremy, who was joined by Bunny. “I thought--” I stammered.
“Yeah, you thought I was Bunny,” Jeremy grinned. “But you know, you can’t trust anyone. I guess I faked you out pretty good, huh?”
“Bastard!”
“Not the first time I’ve been called that,” he said smirking. Craning my neck, I looked over at Erko; he hadn’t moved. “I guess you’re working it all out now?”
“Rennik,” I growled.
“You guessed!” He pointed to the man holding a bloody nose, “Go and get Miller from the gym, and bring back Menshikov’s suit.”
“He’s out cold,” I grinned, be a long time before he’s awake.
“We’ve got ways to wake him up.” He rolled his shoulders, and shrugged. Jeremy’s lithe body shifted and began to swell in size, becoming thick and heavy set. He sneered at me, something ugly that looked out of place on kids face. Bunny stepped back as the kids back peeled away. An older man pulled himself free of the Dupe.
“You look uglier than I remember,” I muttered. “But I appreciate the personal attention.”
“You think I’d trust this freak to do a job like this?” he said, Bunny looked hurt. “As soon as you’d gone I called him back and I took the kid for myself.”
I tried to jerk my arms free from his men, but they held on fast. They weren’t Dupe’s just damn big and strong. “So you knew it was me?”
“I’ve been planning this for a while, feeding Menshikov with faulty suits. Our guy on the inside said you’d taken the job and he filled your inventory with that reduced sedative. Then we just had to wait.”
“Did Menshikov know?” I said freeing a leg and kicking one of his men in the face. Bunny jumped on me, and laid across me while the man pinned me down again.
“Fuck did he, you were going to be inside his head. You’d pick that up too quickly.”
“You used him as bait.” I struggled again, but it was futile.
“He knew the risks working for me, or Erko,” he laughed. “He woke up in your AI-suit, and took down your man. He called me, I couldn’t believe you were standing right in front of me at the time. I told Menshikov what to do. He swapped places with your partner, sent back some false reports to your people. I told him if this worked out, I’d clear his debit, and he could keep the kid he was wearing, what was his name? Danny? Yeah, he’s got something stiff for teenagers.”
I glanced at Jeremy. “Confused?” He turned to the men and yelled, “Don’t just stand there, get him!”
They rushed at me, and I took a few steps back, raising my arms. Two lunged; I punched one in the face, and deflected the other sending him tumbling across the floor. “Idiots,” Jeremy hissed. The remaining four looked unsettled, but then ran at me tackling my torso and legs. I fell to the ground, and they piled on top, I groaned under their weight as they shifted and pinned me down.
I was breathing heavily, my shirt tightened with every gasp. I looked up at Jeremy, who was joined by Bunny. “I thought--” I stammered.
“Yeah, you thought I was Bunny,” Jeremy grinned. “But you know, you can’t trust anyone. I guess I faked you out pretty good, huh?”
“Bastard!”
“Not the first time I’ve been called that,” he said smirking. Craning my neck, I looked over at Erko; he hadn’t moved. “I guess you’re working it all out now?”
“Rennik,” I growled.
“You guessed!” He pointed to the man holding a bloody nose, “Go and get Miller from the gym, and bring back Menshikov’s suit.”
“He’s out cold,” I grinned, be a long time before he’s awake.
“We’ve got ways to wake him up.” He rolled his shoulders, and shrugged. Jeremy’s lithe body shifted and began to swell in size, becoming thick and heavy set. He sneered at me, something ugly that looked out of place on kids face. Bunny stepped back as the kids back peeled away. An older man pulled himself free of the Dupe.
“You look uglier than I remember,” I muttered. “But I appreciate the personal attention.”
“You think I’d trust this freak to do a job like this?” he said, Bunny looked hurt. “As soon as you’d gone I called him back and I took the kid for myself.”
I tried to jerk my arms free from his men, but they held on fast. They weren’t Dupe’s just damn big and strong. “So you knew it was me?”
“I’ve been planning this for a while, feeding Menshikov with faulty suits. Our guy on the inside said you’d taken the job and he filled your inventory with that reduced sedative. Then we just had to wait.”
“Did Menshikov know?” I said freeing a leg and kicking one of his men in the face. Bunny jumped on me, and laid across me while the man pinned me down again.
“Fuck did he, you were going to be inside his head. You’d pick that up too quickly.”
“You used him as bait.” I struggled again, but it was futile.
“He knew the risks working for me, or Erko,” he laughed. “He woke up in your AI-suit, and took down your man. He called me, I couldn’t believe you were standing right in front of me at the time. I told Menshikov what to do. He swapped places with your partner, sent back some false reports to your people. I told him if this worked out, I’d clear his debit, and he could keep the kid he was wearing, what was his name? Danny? Yeah, he’s got something stiff for teenagers.”
“So why didn’t you take me down back then?”
“I wish it had been that easy. You were wearing Menshikov’s suit, that’s old tech. They can only be opened from the inside.”
I remembered, I had the same problem when I took Menshikov’s place. “So this whole charade, was to get me out of his suit, and into Brozek?”
“Uh-huh, Miller didn't know either. Damn, he’s going to be so pissed when he gets back, but I don’t give a fuck.” He scratched his jaw. “It’s time to get you out of that Dupe, Walker, we need Brozek to take care of some shit. Bunny, take care of him.”
I looked over, Bunny had pulled a device from his pocket. He giggled manically as he squeezed it’s trigger and it sparked into life. Arcs jumped between its silver tips, and a metallic smell of electricity filled the air.
“Ready?” Bunny called out. “One. Two. Three.” The men released me, and I tried to squirmed out of the way, but Brozek’s hefty frame wasn’t built for speed and I was caught across the back of the neck.
Electricity crackled, snaking its way throughout my body. I thrashed, muscles tightened and stretched beyond their means. Breathing was near impossible, I couldn’t even curse through my clenched teeth.
It felt like an eternity as the pain ripped its way through me.
Then a darkness raked through my senses, shattering each in turn. The last I heard was Rennik saying. “Get him out of those clothes…”
I jerked, and took a sharp breath. The chilled air, traced its way through my lungs and I coughed. A plume of mist escaped, prickling at my lips.
There was a muffled voice, “He’s waking up.”
My eyes ached. I blinked, then again. In front of me, I could see a black face staring back. "Miller," I muttered.
"You’re so fucked," he sneered, shaking his head.
I ignored him, and checked my surroundings. I was inside one of the tubes. My head was being held in place by something cold, my wrists and ankles were bound. Every time I tried to pull at them, there was mechanical whine, and they tightened. Around my neck was a collar, I tried to move my head, but it was locked in tight.
“Give up,” Miller laughed. “There’s no way out!” He turned and walked away. I could see more of the room now, the Dupe of Jeremy was gone, along with the other men. A few feet away I could see Menshikov’s suit, it was open and empty.
Rennik’s face came into view as he stared at me. “You have no idea how much leverage you have at HQ, do you?”
“I wish it had been that easy. You were wearing Menshikov’s suit, that’s old tech. They can only be opened from the inside.”
I remembered, I had the same problem when I took Menshikov’s place. “So this whole charade, was to get me out of his suit, and into Brozek?”
“Uh-huh, Miller didn't know either. Damn, he’s going to be so pissed when he gets back, but I don’t give a fuck.” He scratched his jaw. “It’s time to get you out of that Dupe, Walker, we need Brozek to take care of some shit. Bunny, take care of him.”
I looked over, Bunny had pulled a device from his pocket. He giggled manically as he squeezed it’s trigger and it sparked into life. Arcs jumped between its silver tips, and a metallic smell of electricity filled the air.
“Ready?” Bunny called out. “One. Two. Three.” The men released me, and I tried to squirmed out of the way, but Brozek’s hefty frame wasn’t built for speed and I was caught across the back of the neck.
Electricity crackled, snaking its way throughout my body. I thrashed, muscles tightened and stretched beyond their means. Breathing was near impossible, I couldn’t even curse through my clenched teeth.
It felt like an eternity as the pain ripped its way through me.
Then a darkness raked through my senses, shattering each in turn. The last I heard was Rennik saying. “Get him out of those clothes…”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I jerked, and took a sharp breath. The chilled air, traced its way through my lungs and I coughed. A plume of mist escaped, prickling at my lips.
There was a muffled voice, “He’s waking up.”
My eyes ached. I blinked, then again. In front of me, I could see a black face staring back. "Miller," I muttered.
"You’re so fucked," he sneered, shaking his head.
I ignored him, and checked my surroundings. I was inside one of the tubes. My head was being held in place by something cold, my wrists and ankles were bound. Every time I tried to pull at them, there was mechanical whine, and they tightened. Around my neck was a collar, I tried to move my head, but it was locked in tight.
“Give up,” Miller laughed. “There’s no way out!” He turned and walked away. I could see more of the room now, the Dupe of Jeremy was gone, along with the other men. A few feet away I could see Menshikov’s suit, it was open and empty.
Rennik’s face came into view as he stared at me. “You have no idea how much leverage you have at HQ, do you?”
‘Fuck you!’ I mouthed.
“Your senior in command should be getting an important message as we speak, verified by the Chief Operator at Command Central. A Marine called ‘Brown’,” he grinned. “You might remember him?” He began to pace back and forth. “It’ll be a message from the Director, asking him to meet him. He’ll take his escort of course, a Marine. A big, strong man. Trusts him with his life, and has done so for the past six years.”
I remembered the soldier that I saw leaving during my first visit.
“It’s unfortunate,” he said shaking his head. “How someone you thought you knew just flips, lashes out.”
“You said the Marine was empty, that means the soldiers mind is in control. He’s a good man, a rock!”
Rennik beckoned with a finger, and Miller pushed over a console. On the screen I could see people walking around, like someone was filming the inside of HQ. They approached the restrooms and walked in, the reflection showed the Marine, looking at himself, not moving. The live stream was from the Dupe; through its eyes.
“We can take control of empty Dupes anytime we like, with a headset we can get right inside its head--be there. Their car is packed with explosives; Bunny’s been using the Marine for the past few hours to set it up.”
“He’s an idiot,” I mutter.
“Maybe, but he’s good with explosives.”
“So you kill my Commander, and they’ll be another to take his place.” I paused, realising what I’d just said.
“You’re right.” Rennik tipped his head, “Can you think of anyone?”
“Fucker,” I muttered.
I watched Rennik push himself inside the younger body of the rival gang-leader. The Dupe expanded around Rennik, sealing him inside. Within moments, it had returned to its original dimensions. Erko, pulled on some clothes and winked at me. “Kinda enjoy being inside him,” he told me, “the youth, and he’s not bad looking. But the thing that gets me hard is controlling him, using him, like a puppet.”
“Its finished cooking,” Miller interrupted.
“About time. Get it out, I want to see it.”
I took a breath, as Miller walked out of sight, a few moments later he returned leading a new Dupe. A perfect copy of me, but it’s face was emotionless, it’s eyes dull and void. There was no feed to it of course, they hadn’t tapped my mind--yet.
Miller rested his chin on the Dupe’s shoulder, and looked at me. His dark skin contrasting against my doubles. He turned and licked the Dupe’s cheek, his eyes never leaving mine. He snorted, “You’re going to be my long term project, Walker. I told you I was looking for somewhere. Brozek has the respect, but your--“, he corrects himself, “--I’m going to be one of the good guys. Long service history, nothing to prove. People will trust me, respect me, but in a different way. Eventually, I’ll fuck your career and reputation. After you’ve past your usefulness of course. Until then, we’re going to be tight.” He grins, “I’ll be in your head, and your body.”
He whispers something into the Dupe’s ear, and it rolls its shoulders forward. It’s back peels open, and Miller forces his way my Dupe’s body. Its physical dimensions expand, and then return to normal as it sealed behind him.
The man in front of me blinks, then smiles. He looks down, and traces his hands across his torso. He flexes--a double bicep, then stretches. The muscles, veins and skin perform flawlessly. He pulls on the clothes I’d been wearing, he paused and pushed his face into the vest. He took a deep breath. “Damn, we smell good,” he groaned looking at me, then pulled it over his head.
Miller walked over to Menshikov’s suit, and sized himself up against its back. “Seriously? You’ve been wearing this for a few days? Damn, have to admire your determination, it looks like a tight fit. Still, guess I’ll find out later.
“Why? You’ve got everything you need,” I said.
He walked over to the tube. “Loose ends,” he told me. “Your partner, Jackson.” He balls his fists and twists his arms enjoying the way my muscles move. “He’ll have gaps in his memory, that’ll flag up inconsistencies. We’re currently fabricating reports. They’ll say he’s going into the field, wearing Menshikov’s suit at the gym.” He draws in close, staring at me. “But there’ll be an unfortunate incident, and the suit will short and fry him.” He sneers, “Those suits are so unreliable.”
“You bastard, he won’t do it. I’ve told him to be the handler, stay at the base and be my contact.”
Miller chuckles. “I didn’t say he needed to be alive when he gets fried in the suit.” He cracks his knuckles, “Maybe I’ll kill him first, no wait, it’ll be you that kills him. Yeah, I’d like to see his face when his own partner kills him--slowly.” I jerk at my restraints, thrashing, but the bands tighten again.
Miller frowns, sticking out his lip. “Aww, don’t hurt yourself. I don’t want to have to remember that as well. Don’t worry about that Frankenstein of a AI-suit you’ve got; I’ll have all its access codes in a while. I’m pretty sure I can make it do what I want.”
“You’ve had your fun,” Erko growled. “Get on with it."
Miller taps on the tube. “Time to go to sleep Walker. In a few minutes I’ll have all your memories as well, every last dirty secret, and I’ll be you. Not even your mom will be able to tell the difference,” he grins. “You got a woman?” I stared daggers at him. “Don’t worry, I’ll find out for myself.”
The mechanism tightened around my neck, and head. I’d seen the needles on the other victims, the convulsions as they pushed into the soft flesh under the chin and up into the brain. I tried again to move, but any slack was removed. I was held tight.
There was a buzzing, then I felt the needles. I winced as they pushed against my skin, I tried to swallow. They pierced my flesh like Skewers, a searing heat bloomed from the puncture wounds. I could feel them moving, pushing deeper. Then I felt myself begin to convulse, as they probed deep within my skull.
My limbs started to shake, my shoulders bucked, even more violently, I was straining against the bindings. My teeth clenched, lips barred as a tingling, electrical sensation encompassed my mind.
I closed my eyes; I had to! I gasped, short, quick breaths. A sensation of despair drifted through my mind as I slipped into darkness.
End of pt9.
Rennik! Erko! -- no reply. Damn, it's so dark. Are my eyes are open or closed?
"Remain claim Brandon Walker. Please wait." That voice, it sounds familiar.
Hello? Who's that? Where am I?
Ok, Ok keep calm. I can move my arms and legs, at least I think I can, can't see a damn thing. This is a weird sensation. Shit, I can't feel anything, my body, arms, anything! This has got to be something to do with those tubes.
"Brandon Walker. This is Tech1, from HQ--"
Tech1? Richards? Is that you? What's happening, I can't feel, or see anything.
"--this is a recording, remain calm."
Shit!
"Walker, this is Tech1. You're aware of the copy we made of your memories and traits for the Ivan AI unit. While the copy was in progress we inserted a beacon into your skull which was linked via ((NETWORK)) directly to the Ivan unit. It's been replicating your memories continuously since it was brought online."
Like a backup?
"--This project has been classified as SECURE. Only your Senior Commander and Tech1 know of its existence."
Shit! You need to get a message to Senior, they're planning to kill him!
"--The Ivan unit has detected a temporal disconnection; your physical mind has been compromised. Your consciousness has been sync'd and is being brought online within the Ivan unit."
What?
"--Within moments, you will have full access to the Ivan unit’s subsystems, they will act as extensions to your own pseudo-existence. All safe guards, and security lockout passwords have been revoked. External access mechanisms have been disabled; you control those now."
The vacuum that surrounded me, started to dissipate. My senses were returning. I clenched my hands feeling fingers, a strong grip. A sudden brilliant light, made me flinch. I blinked, and my vision snapped into sharp focus. I recognised the apartment; I was in the bathroom. Ivan's reflection was staring back at me from a mirror, but I felt like it belonged to me.
I stroked Ivan's beard with the back of my hand, it feels different. Although I'd used the AI-suit before, this feels—real, like it's mine.
All my senses seemed heightened. There’s more, chatter; I can hear radio comms, voices from elsewhere in the apartment. There’s something else; I press a palm against my torso. I sense another heartbeat, breathing, thoughts--but I can’t make them out. Then I realised, it was Jackson—my partner, inside me.
End of Series1.
“Your senior in command should be getting an important message as we speak, verified by the Chief Operator at Command Central. A Marine called ‘Brown’,” he grinned. “You might remember him?” He began to pace back and forth. “It’ll be a message from the Director, asking him to meet him. He’ll take his escort of course, a Marine. A big, strong man. Trusts him with his life, and has done so for the past six years.”
I remembered the soldier that I saw leaving during my first visit.
“It’s unfortunate,” he said shaking his head. “How someone you thought you knew just flips, lashes out.”
“You said the Marine was empty, that means the soldiers mind is in control. He’s a good man, a rock!”
Rennik beckoned with a finger, and Miller pushed over a console. On the screen I could see people walking around, like someone was filming the inside of HQ. They approached the restrooms and walked in, the reflection showed the Marine, looking at himself, not moving. The live stream was from the Dupe; through its eyes.
“We can take control of empty Dupes anytime we like, with a headset we can get right inside its head--be there. Their car is packed with explosives; Bunny’s been using the Marine for the past few hours to set it up.”
“He’s an idiot,” I mutter.
“Maybe, but he’s good with explosives.”
“So you kill my Commander, and they’ll be another to take his place.” I paused, realising what I’d just said.
“You’re right.” Rennik tipped his head, “Can you think of anyone?”
“Fucker,” I muttered.
I watched Rennik push himself inside the younger body of the rival gang-leader. The Dupe expanded around Rennik, sealing him inside. Within moments, it had returned to its original dimensions. Erko, pulled on some clothes and winked at me. “Kinda enjoy being inside him,” he told me, “the youth, and he’s not bad looking. But the thing that gets me hard is controlling him, using him, like a puppet.”
“Its finished cooking,” Miller interrupted.
“About time. Get it out, I want to see it.”
I took a breath, as Miller walked out of sight, a few moments later he returned leading a new Dupe. A perfect copy of me, but it’s face was emotionless, it’s eyes dull and void. There was no feed to it of course, they hadn’t tapped my mind--yet.
Miller rested his chin on the Dupe’s shoulder, and looked at me. His dark skin contrasting against my doubles. He turned and licked the Dupe’s cheek, his eyes never leaving mine. He snorted, “You’re going to be my long term project, Walker. I told you I was looking for somewhere. Brozek has the respect, but your--“, he corrects himself, “--I’m going to be one of the good guys. Long service history, nothing to prove. People will trust me, respect me, but in a different way. Eventually, I’ll fuck your career and reputation. After you’ve past your usefulness of course. Until then, we’re going to be tight.” He grins, “I’ll be in your head, and your body.”
He whispers something into the Dupe’s ear, and it rolls its shoulders forward. It’s back peels open, and Miller forces his way my Dupe’s body. Its physical dimensions expand, and then return to normal as it sealed behind him.
The man in front of me blinks, then smiles. He looks down, and traces his hands across his torso. He flexes--a double bicep, then stretches. The muscles, veins and skin perform flawlessly. He pulls on the clothes I’d been wearing, he paused and pushed his face into the vest. He took a deep breath. “Damn, we smell good,” he groaned looking at me, then pulled it over his head.
Miller walked over to Menshikov’s suit, and sized himself up against its back. “Seriously? You’ve been wearing this for a few days? Damn, have to admire your determination, it looks like a tight fit. Still, guess I’ll find out later.
“Why? You’ve got everything you need,” I said.
He walked over to the tube. “Loose ends,” he told me. “Your partner, Jackson.” He balls his fists and twists his arms enjoying the way my muscles move. “He’ll have gaps in his memory, that’ll flag up inconsistencies. We’re currently fabricating reports. They’ll say he’s going into the field, wearing Menshikov’s suit at the gym.” He draws in close, staring at me. “But there’ll be an unfortunate incident, and the suit will short and fry him.” He sneers, “Those suits are so unreliable.”
“You bastard, he won’t do it. I’ve told him to be the handler, stay at the base and be my contact.”
Miller chuckles. “I didn’t say he needed to be alive when he gets fried in the suit.” He cracks his knuckles, “Maybe I’ll kill him first, no wait, it’ll be you that kills him. Yeah, I’d like to see his face when his own partner kills him--slowly.” I jerk at my restraints, thrashing, but the bands tighten again.
Miller frowns, sticking out his lip. “Aww, don’t hurt yourself. I don’t want to have to remember that as well. Don’t worry about that Frankenstein of a AI-suit you’ve got; I’ll have all its access codes in a while. I’m pretty sure I can make it do what I want.”
“You’ve had your fun,” Erko growled. “Get on with it."
Miller taps on the tube. “Time to go to sleep Walker. In a few minutes I’ll have all your memories as well, every last dirty secret, and I’ll be you. Not even your mom will be able to tell the difference,” he grins. “You got a woman?” I stared daggers at him. “Don’t worry, I’ll find out for myself.”
The mechanism tightened around my neck, and head. I’d seen the needles on the other victims, the convulsions as they pushed into the soft flesh under the chin and up into the brain. I tried again to move, but any slack was removed. I was held tight.
There was a buzzing, then I felt the needles. I winced as they pushed against my skin, I tried to swallow. They pierced my flesh like Skewers, a searing heat bloomed from the puncture wounds. I could feel them moving, pushing deeper. Then I felt myself begin to convulse, as they probed deep within my skull.
My limbs started to shake, my shoulders bucked, even more violently, I was straining against the bindings. My teeth clenched, lips barred as a tingling, electrical sensation encompassed my mind.
I closed my eyes; I had to! I gasped, short, quick breaths. A sensation of despair drifted through my mind as I slipped into darkness.
End of pt9.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
***
WAIT
***
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rennik! Erko! -- no reply. Damn, it's so dark. Are my eyes are open or closed?
"Remain claim Brandon Walker. Please wait." That voice, it sounds familiar.
Hello? Who's that? Where am I?
Ok, Ok keep calm. I can move my arms and legs, at least I think I can, can't see a damn thing. This is a weird sensation. Shit, I can't feel anything, my body, arms, anything! This has got to be something to do with those tubes.
"Brandon Walker. This is Tech1, from HQ--"
Tech1? Richards? Is that you? What's happening, I can't feel, or see anything.
"--this is a recording, remain calm."
Shit!
"Walker, this is Tech1. You're aware of the copy we made of your memories and traits for the Ivan AI unit. While the copy was in progress we inserted a beacon into your skull which was linked via ((NETWORK)) directly to the Ivan unit. It's been replicating your memories continuously since it was brought online."
Like a backup?
"--This project has been classified as SECURE. Only your Senior Commander and Tech1 know of its existence."
Shit! You need to get a message to Senior, they're planning to kill him!
"--The Ivan unit has detected a temporal disconnection; your physical mind has been compromised. Your consciousness has been sync'd and is being brought online within the Ivan unit."
What?
"--Within moments, you will have full access to the Ivan unit’s subsystems, they will act as extensions to your own pseudo-existence. All safe guards, and security lockout passwords have been revoked. External access mechanisms have been disabled; you control those now."
The vacuum that surrounded me, started to dissipate. My senses were returning. I clenched my hands feeling fingers, a strong grip. A sudden brilliant light, made me flinch. I blinked, and my vision snapped into sharp focus. I recognised the apartment; I was in the bathroom. Ivan's reflection was staring back at me from a mirror, but I felt like it belonged to me.
I stroked Ivan's beard with the back of my hand, it feels different. Although I'd used the AI-suit before, this feels—real, like it's mine.
All my senses seemed heightened. There’s more, chatter; I can hear radio comms, voices from elsewhere in the apartment. There’s something else; I press a palm against my torso. I sense another heartbeat, breathing, thoughts--but I can’t make them out. Then I realised, it was Jackson—my partner, inside me.
End of Series1.






No comments :
Post a Comment