by Seuzz
"Ryan? Baby?" Vincent stood in the living room and
called. "I got back from Toronto early, and I don't gotta go back in for a
new sculpt until -- " He padded through the living room, the kitchen, the
bedroom. "Honey? My man here -- " He slapped his chest proudly.
"Played college football, kept in shape. Hung like a -- "
He broke off. The house was empty. Empty? It felt abandoned.
Sterile beneath the faded floral scents.
Floral scents. Vincent
tried to do what Tito had once suggested he do: Try to think more than three
steps ahead.
The service came on Mondays, and this was Friday. Ryan was
constitutionally incapable of not reducing a house to a pig sty in the space of
four days. Ergo, he was out of town or at least on vacation from the house. But
he had left no message for Vincent on where to find him. Ergo, Ryan was
expecting to be back home before Vincent was scheduled to get back on Sunday.
Ergo, Ryan was taking a vacation that he expected Vincent would not notice, and
probably would not want his boyfriend noticing he had taken.
An ache opened up in Vincent's chest. His legs turned numb
from the knees down as he went into the bedroom and began to methodically
search the dressers, bureaus, and closets. The terrible thing was that even if
he found nothing, that wouldn't prove a negative. But if he did find what he
was afraid of finding --
And he found it. A box of condoms, something he and Ryan had
never had in the house.
Worse, it was almost empty.
* * * * *
"You want the good news or the bad news first?"
Tito asked.
"There's good news?"
"The good news is I'm paying for these." Tito
raised his whiskey in an ironic toast.
To Vincent it felt like iron fingers closing around his
chest. Those fingers pressed hard at his breastbone, as if trying to crack it
open and plunge through to pierce his heart. He let his head sink. He cupped
his own whiskey in a nerveless hand.
Harsh music thumped nearby, and crimson lights strobed and
throbbed against the wall. He was sitting in one of Cesar's crummy titty bars, and
his alienation from the gyrating bodies on stage was like a commentary on the
hollow place opening up within his chest. There was nothing here for him,
either inside himself or outside.
"I suppose there's more good news, depending on how you
want to interpret it," continued Tito. "They were all black like
us."
Vincent spared Tito -- Trevon, now -- a wry glance. For a
year now he had been a handsome son of a bitch, and a shade of ebony even
deeper than Vincent's natural color. He was massive, solid, imperturbable, and
with his shaved dome he exuded a granite-like gravity. Tito had always been
competent; but in this face and form he now radiated it like a dark god.
If Tito hadn't been almost comically heterosexual, Vincent
would have crawled into his lap and bawled like a child.
"But it was 'they'," said Vincent sourly.
"More than one."
Tito seemed to weigh his words very carefully before
surrendering to them with a sigh. "Yes, more than one. He's awfully cute,
you know that. For years now he's been going to bars and sitting in the most
visible spot until he's got a dozen brothers clustered all around him and
jostling each other to -- " He stopped as Vincent drew a ragged breath.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to paint you a picture."
"You can cut out the 'brother' and 'black like me' shit
while you're at it," Vincent said. "So you got yourself a sculpt. You
ain't lived the life. You findin' it so easy, so smooth, so sweet to be -- ?"
Tito shrugged. "Sure, and I know I cheated to get it.
Look at me, I got a secure job, I wear a suit, talk in a well-spoken way, and
no one gives me any shit for fear I'll break their face with one good
tap." He briefly flexed his hand. "That and the woman back home are
the reason I went for this retirement package."
"I thought it was to stay alive."
"That too, but I think more about the fringe
benefits."
Vincent said nothing for a very long time, and Tito let him
be. Vincent felt the kind of numbness steal over him that bespoke a buzz
turning into a drunk, and in the very back of his head he felt the prickling
heat of anger that meant it could easily turn into a blistering, blind rage of
a drunk. He alternately gripped and relaxed his hand around a whiskey glass
that Tito pointedly did not offer to refill.
"I was putting off retirement," Vincent finally
said in a slur. He got a firmer grip on his vocal muscles and started again.
"I took to heart what you told me, but I put it off and put it off until
that asshole doctor made a joke about cuttin' me up. I put it off and put it
off 'cos that's all I got, just got this job. It was hard, but it got me outta
where I was and who I was, got outta my shit life -- " He ground the heel
of his hand into his eye and tried pushing back the wave of self-pity. "Got
me away from Ryan even. I see that now. Think I always suspected, musta always
knowed. I know he used to come into clubs, sit around and wait to be picked up.
I caught him once and he told me what it was and I believed him like a fool,
like a goddam' fool. I never let myself think he was lyin', 'cos I was too busy
lyin' to myself about him and what he was doin', an' I think I musta just
stayed away 'cos I didn't wanna risk havin' it shoved inna my face.
"But it was my own fault, basically," he continued
after a long pause, during which he twisted and twisted the whiskey glass
around. "I tempted him. Tempted him into lookin' at other guys 'cos he
thought they might be me. Can't blame him for givin' in when it was just a tiny
step from lookin' for a strange new man in his bed to pickin' one up and
bringin' him in." Vincent's voice turned sloppier and sobbier. "An'
it's because I moved into Plastics. Ryan wasn't enough for me, I had to get out
of my own skin, to get away from all the shit I was carryin' with me. Ryan wasn't
enough for me, so now I'm not enough for him. Even after I tried to be a couple
of other people for him."
Tito let Vincent sit silently for a bit, then got him a tall
glass of water from the bar and slapped some life into his hands, all to bring
him back to a little clarity. And when he judged that Vincent had beaten back the worst of the drunken
self-pity, he said, "Ryan was a whore from the day you met him."
Vincent didn't react at first. Then he turned very black in
the face and looked up at Tito.
"It didn't start when you transferred to
Plastics," Tito said. "That just made it easier for him to screw
around behind your back. The Company turns its people inside out, and it turns
their friends and family inside out too. The day you joined the Company, the
Company knew what kind of trash you were sleeping with. But you were happy not
knowing, and the Company was just happy you were happy."
Tito took out a cell phone, and with a brush of his finger
tip turned on the screen. "I took the liberty of hacking your boy's cell
before coming to this meeting, so I had more than my word for it."
"For what?" Vincent growled.
"That for fifteen uninterrupted years Ryan has had lots
of guys taking care of him," Tito said calmly. "You're just the
asshole he wheedled a house and car out of, and are the one who didn't know
about the others."
Vincent looked down at the screen. He scrolled down the
contact list, numbly punching up details as they caught his eye. He was still
in the C's when he was overborne by a need for another drink. He remembered
swallowing it down with a shaking hand, but nothing else after that until
waking the next morning.
* * * * *
"It's our ten year anniversary next month,"
Vincent said, and pulled Ryan closer to him.
"Oh God, don't say that," Ryan moaned. "Ten
years. You know it sucks that you only look your best for the first half of
your life, and for half of that period you aren't even legal."
Vincent snickered. "Do I need to book you for a little
more preventative maintenance? Or will a kiss make it better? Here? Or here? Or
maybe -- ?"
He got a third kiss onto Ryan before the latter squirmed
away. "I have to get up early," he snapped, and turned over.
"Alright, baby." Ryan's hair tickled Vincent's
nose as he kissed the back of his neck. "But I got six weeks off, and
something special planned for our anniversary."
"Yeah?" Ryan said. He sounded interested, though
he didn't turn around.
"Yeah. I was inspired by something you said a long time
ago, kept it in the back of my mind as a surprise for you."
Now Ryan did turn over. "What? What is it?"
"I'm not going to tell you, it's a surprise."
"Tell me! Oh, I'll tickle you all over if you don't --
"
They laughed and probed and played, but when Vincent
steadfastly refused to let slip the secret, Ryan quickly turned it into a bad
sulk and slept the rest of the night with his shoulder to his lover ...
No comments :
Post a Comment