Thursday, January 21, 2016

Guest Post: Legion and Lover (4/6)

by Seuzz

Vincent thought his heart was about to crack. But with one last effort, he and Tito lofted the improvised body bag and its contents into the dumpster, where it landed with a resounding boom. "Jesus, that was one heavy mofo. You gonna tell me now how you managed to piss him off?"

"I didn't," Tito said, and bent over to rest his hands on his knees as he gasped for breath. "He's my retirement package."

"Say what?"

"Yeah." Tito straightened up. Even in the early morning dark, in an unlit alley, Vincent could see the streaks of sweat on Tito's face. "That's my new face in there. My permanent one. His data file's waiting for me back at -- "

"That fuckin' ni -- ?  Tito." Vincent seized the hair at the top of his friend's head. "You're brown, but you ain't brown enough to pass for one of my peeps."

Tito slapped him away. "You don't listen closely, do you? I told you that sculpting into another race is hard. I didn't say it was impossible. That kind of radical sculpt is for one-time shots only, like final sculpts." Tito panted a couple of times. "So you understand what I'm saying, right?"

"That you got a bad result on your last test. I'm sorry, man."

"Don't be." Tito jerked his chin at the rusted-out dumpster. "I've been jonesing after that mofo's girl for a coupla years now, been hoping for a positive test so I could retire into her bed."

"Jesus. But now my question is, if this is Company business, why didn't you get a disposal team to handle this job? Why'd you call me out when I'm supposed to be on vacation?"

"Are you pissed at me?"

"No. I just want to know -- "

"But Ryan was pissed when you left to meet me, wasn't he? Oh, I bet he was, I bet he went into a sulk the minute you -- "

"Oh, fuck you, that isn't any of your business."

"I know it's not my business, I'm just saying. Christ, Vincent, I know he's adorable, but you spoil him, and you know it. I bet everyone he sleeps with spoils him."
Vincent gave him a look. "If that's a reference to the little post-assignment shenanigans me and my boy like to -- "

"No, it's not a reference to that. I'll drop it, shouldn't have even raised it in the first place because you don't want to hear anything about -- "

"We're talking about you, asshole! Why'd you drag me outta my bed the first night I had with my boy in five months when you coulda had a disposal unit taking care of this shit?"

"Because my mofo in there is on a disposal unit, okay? I can't ask his friends to dispose of one of their own."

Vincent's eyes widened. "The fuck? The Company asked you -- or let you -- ice one of their own?"

"The Company doesn't know about this, Vincent." Tito grabbed his friend and pulled him close. "And your problem is you only see or think about three steps in front of you when you should be looking six or nine steps ahead. I know you heard what I said. I'm getting myself sculpted so I can step into that mofo's life." He banged the side of the dumpster. "But that's not Company policy. Official Company policy, I told you a long time ago, is that you get to exit as a composite, a fake, a new person, like DeShawn. You can't steal someone's life, which is what I'm doing."

"You can't anyway," Vincent retorted. "They're going to find that body bag and open it and when they see who's in it -- "

Tito drew a small clicker from his pocket. He pressed a button, and from inside the dumpster came a sound like a water balloon bursting. "Standard disposal tool. Bag's lined with explosive bladders containing industrial-strength acids. No one's going to look too close at what's in that bag when they open it up because there's hardly going to be anything left of it. I've been studying for my new job."

Vincent shivered at Tito's ghoulish smile. "Okay, so why are you doing this? His girl's that hot?"

"Hot enough. But the reason I'm doing it isn't because she's hot or because my test came back bad. It's because Leda Jane and Patrick did not exactly retire voluntarily."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that, officially, Company policy is to hand out a pension and a new composite identity. In actuality, I found out thanks to some lucky snooping, Company policy is to sideline and liquidate assets once they reach their expiration date. I haven't hit mine yet, actually -- my test was negative -- but I'm getting a little long in the tooth, plasticity-wise, and I'm not waiting around for them to make the first move."

Vincent could only listen in horrified silence as Tito continued.

"Luckily, about a year ago I did a huge-ass favor for one of the techies, and now I'm cashing it in from her. We're meeting for an after-hours sculpt in -- " Tito glanced at his watch. "About ninety minutes. That mofo we just dumped ain't gonna disappear, you see, but I am. Cute, huh? And I wanted you in on the job so I could tell you where to find me when it got to be your turn to exit stage left. This is only between us, Vincent, but I'm holding the same door open for you. You've got at least a year, I'd bet, before you start to lose it, and you can collect some fat Company checks in the meantime, and I'm telling you that you should." He slapped Vincent lightly on the cheek. "Just don't wait too long before looking up Trevon on Team D."

* * * * *
Vincent lay curled up on the sofa under a throw rug. Usually, on chilly nights like this, he used Ryan as a hot water bottle. Ryan burned hot for some reason. But tonight, being banished to the sofa, Vincent had to use an actual hot water bottle.

Banished to the sofa. Vincent thought that was a old sitcom joke about white suburban married couples who were still dragging the 1950s behind them. But Ryan had gone and done it, banishing him to the sofa for having the temerity to suggest --

As though it were not just an impossibility, but a cruelty to even suggest --

That they might want to move to another city and a new set of identities.

Vincent closed his eyes and pushed out the memory of Ryan's anguished cries. The gist was that he had friends here, had always had friends here, and he'd die if he had to cut himself off from them. They were all he had, actually, since Vincent was never home, and to tell him that he had to abandon them for the sake of someone -- Vincent -- who was more and more just a stranger when he wasn't just a sequence of strangers barging into his house once every couple of weeks -- Well, that was just too much.

Vincent wanted to yell back, but he saw Ryan's point too clearly. He was becoming a stranger, if he wasn't one already.

It was horribly ironic. Everything Vincent had done, he'd done for Ryan. He'd given him so much, and he had so much more he wanted to give. There was only thing he hadn't been able to give Ryan, and that was himself on account of the demands his job.

So he'd given Ryan a bigger and nicer home (along with a service that came in once a week to scrub the house top to bottom so Ryan didn't even have to pick up after himself). He'd given him club memberships and paid for vacations not always to places where he (Vincent) could meet up with him. He'd bought Ryan three more sports cars since he banged up the original Z4, and when Ryan made noises about getting a little surgery done -- just the tiniest bit of preventative maintenance to beat back the ravages of his twenty-seventh birthday -- Vincent had paid for that too.

Still, in the loneliness of the dark living room, Vincent couldn't help feeling more than a little sorry for himself. His whole life he'd been frantically trying to take care of people. As a child he'd tried to take care of a drunken mother; as a teen, he'd nearly broken himself working for a gangster; in between times he'd exhausted himself just keeping his own self alive. And for ten years now he'd been cutting his humanity away -- physically and morally -- for the sake of Ryan's smiles.

He was beginning to wish someone would come along to take care of him for a change.

* * * * *
"Another negative result," said the head physician. "You are a remarkable specimen, Mr. Bowdoin. You've beaten the previous record for longevity. Part of me wants to put you on a slab and see what makes you so special." He laughed.


Vincent laughed too, but when he got back to his cubicle he placed a call to Team D, and asked for Trevon.

No comments :

Post a Comment