The Doctor never admitted to the real reason why the TARDIS's chameleon circuits had 'failed' but I knew why.
The delicate, yet surprisingly small device nestled within the centre console, and I knew exactly where. I'd been a stowaway on the ship for three weeks now, it was easy to hide although small on the outside it was vast on the inside. Many of the 300 rooms of which varied in size were distributed over the seventy floors and sub-basements. I'd stayed clear of the swimming pool on the seventeenth because it was adjacent to where the Doctors current companion stayed. I didn't want to be discovered, not just yet.
The walls shuddered, and a great heaving sound echoed around the cavernous room I'd decided to call my temporary home. A noise I recognised, the TARDIS had materialised; landed whatever you call it.
Slipping down a spiral banister, dropping three floors in a couple of seconds, then a rickety staircase behind a picture of the blue box itself--a short cut that connected the twenty-first and third floors in just nine steps: space folded in on itself--so efficient.
I stepped through the small door at the bottom of the twisted staircase, and turned to look at the mirror it had become. I winced at the cruel scar that etched my face; a souvenir from my time on Phryxus where I fought their wolf-like army.
Turning I admired the great room, where mirrors lined the walls, each framed by gold, imagine Louis XIV and times it by ten. Jogging down to the other end of the room--some sixty feet--I tapped on a console, but I was careful. I knew selecting any of the internal cameras in the control room would alert the Doctor. Cunningly I selected an external view which overlooked the door. I pulled up an ornate chair upholstered in red velvet and watched, and waited.
The external view showed the TARDIS door open, and the Doctor's head popped out. I watched as the tall skinny time lord stepped out confidently. He adjusted his tie, and looked back into the ship and beckoned out his companion.
Confident the coast was clear I made my way down the last two floors and into the control room. I walked around the central console gently touching its metallic edges and curious controls, but I had a job to perform. Dropping to my knees, crawled under the console and pushed at a small panel, with a click it opened. Tentatively pushed my hand into the space, gently feeling my way around the coils and springs until I found what I was looking for: the chameleon circuit. I flicked off the connecting cable with my finger and pulled my hand out. The small square device powered itself, the connections only interfaced to the TARDIS outer skin. I knew there was nothing wrong with the device; he could change it anytime he wanted it just the Doctor loved the shape of the blue box, "It’s like a calling card," he'd often say, so I knew it would be ages before he'd discover the small circuit in my hand was missing.
I pushed the small circuit into the communicator that looked like a leather wrist band; the lines etched on its surface glowed. The technology had integrated with the band. I tapped at the band, and grinned as the chameleon circuit burst into life changing the band from dark leather to the colour of my skin--disappearing completely.
Slipping out the door, I went to find the Doctor and the companion. It didn't take long; I knew this wasn't a long stay on the planet Sam wanted to touch base with his family to prove to himself that they hadn't missed him. In reality after being away for a few days the Doctor would be returning to just hours later on the planet.
The Doctor was standing there with his arm around Sam's mother. Hiding in the shadows, I watched Sam as he ducked into the house; surreptitiously I edged around the house and went in the back door. A noise from above; and I silently went up the stairs.
My training as a marine made it easy to subdue Sam, even though he was a built kid. I pulled off my clothes looking over at the unconscious companion. Tapping at my wrist: the hidden chameleon circuit, I felt my whole body shift as I lost a couple of inches in height. My reflection confirmed my new identity, the Doctor's companion Sam Wilkes.
I instantly knew the Doctor would be getting impatient downstairs, I removed Sam's clothes pulling them on glancing in the mirror again to confirm my disguise--it was perfect.
I trotted downstairs and out the door poking the Doctor in the ribs, he let out a yelp and turned. "Oh, ready to go Sam?" He chirped excitedly.
"Yeah, all ready Doc' let’s go," I replied in Sam's voice.
The Doctor said his goodbyes to my inherited family, and headed back in the direction of the TARDIS, I jogged behind trying to keep up.
Inside I watched the Doctor dashed from panel to panel pushing buttons and pulling levers closing the doors. He sagged back leaning on one edge of the console. "So are you ready Sam? Where shall we go?"
I tapped on my chin; Sam's chin. "I've always wanted to see... what's on the other side of the moon."
"Ohh, I think we can do better than that," he smirked. "How about the crystal mazes of Diadem Minor?"
I nodded, and the Doctor pushed a lever. In the monitor above my head, I saw the original Sam running up to the TARDIS wrapped only in a bath towel. Glancing over at the Doctor, I pressed a button on the console and the display went blank.
My mission had started as the column in the centre of the console started to reach into life. UNIT had assigned me to protect the Doctor, he'd never allowed them to before but now disguised as his companion, and any future ones it would be simple.
Slightly different style today, tried to give it a Dr Who-ish spin a feel to celebrate the series 50 year anniversary.
ReplyDeleteLet me know what you think of it..
I think you have the start of a series. Maybe you could convince the Doctor Who folks to let you write for them.
ReplyDeleteI love the Doctor Who theme. ^^
ReplyDeleteWould be nice, but in this scenario the doctor wouldn't be the protagonist.
ReplyDeleteThanks, was fun to write.
ReplyDeleteGreat job man. I love it! Damn his companion is hot!
ReplyDeleteThanks Brody
ReplyDeleteThis Is Awesome!
ReplyDeleteHave him turn into the Doctor as well! Maybe Eleven?
ReplyDeleteThanks James, no plans to go any further unless there are enough people interested. (Vote?)
ReplyDeleteThanks Michael.
ReplyDeleteMake him turn into Eleven please!!
ReplyDeleteGood Story. It definitely suites the Doctor Who Fandom.
ReplyDeleteThanks Alex
ReplyDeleteGreat work Sean - will have to consider liking some of my favourite programs into my stories...
ReplyDeleteCool, go for it Gaz!
ReplyDeleteHey I have noticed that there have been few and fewer stories written over the past weeks. What's happening?? Lol
ReplyDelete